Friday, December 2, 2011

Christmas is Back!

Now, yes, I know, there are only 22 shopping days. You are all saying, "well DUH!"  But, you have to understand, Christmas has changed and morphed and changed again.


Well into adulthood and married life, I LOVED Christmas.  I started planning where my village would go, how to deck the halls, what to make for dinner, what to wear to the midnight service, in like, July. Egg nog and Christmas music.  Wrapping presents and excitement.  I would beg my hubby to let me put the tree up a week before Thanksgiving and leave up a week longer in January.  I joined the crowds of looney toons on Black Friday and enjoyed breakfast with my husband at 7am when we were done.  It was an amazing joy.



Then, my bubble got burst.  Reality came, smacked me in the face and I withdrew from Christmas.  It was time to be a grown up and realize that the Hallmark holiday I created in my mind and J let me imagine was real all those years, was just that --------- imaginary.  That kind of happiness, real or imagined, did not exist in my world any longer.  Families fought over what day belonged to whom, guilt trips came from every direction.  No one would compromise.  No presents until after the 6:30 dinner because it was tradition, nevermind that my toddler was screaming his head off and overtired.  (You can imagine how that went when babies 2-4 compounded the stress.) I was on bedrest for two Christmases and that was MISERABLE - including a stress and "too much time off the couch" induced placental abruption. Guilt came from ALL sides of the family.  Last year, there were guilt trips because my FF had to work BOTH days of the holiday and schedules had to be rearranged.  "BUT, we've ALWAYS had it this way."  "Sorry, when the kids were little, I was the one to drive the long distance.  Now it is my turn to not drive.  I have earned it."  "But you spent all morning with that side, what about our side?"  "Well, we're still opening presents when we usually do, whether you guys are here or not."  My mind shut my soul down and my Christmas spirit was extinguished.   I retired from the world of Christmas.  I wrote myself a letter that I keep with the ornaments, reminding myself NOT to do this to my kids when they have families of their own. My hubby would be prodding me after St. Nick's Day to get the tree up and it came down the 2nd of January  - without hesitation, my village has not seen the light of day in YEARS.  It really is a sad tale.  The Grinch had stolen my Christmas.





My hubby was truly saddened by this.  Every once in a while, I would get the, "Remember when you got so excited..." talk.  And I would tune out, my eyes glazed over.  Finally, after last year, including a melt down because Christmas was especially hard now that we had been thrown into the Fire Life, we made a decision.  Christmas would come back.  It would be about our Children, our faith, our family.  If the rest of our family couldn't handle it, or got grumpy about his schedule, ah well. It would be their loss.


Today, is the hanging of the greens.  Today I am skipping the basketball game that has a toga theme attached to it for setting up the tree.  Today I am skipping my weekly dinner with my dad to get said tree decorated.  Today I am setting up the tables in the dining room so my FF and I can get the village up and illuminated.  And I am excited.  I am excited to see my kids' reactions when they wake up and see the village.  I am excited to pick out a Pickle Present for Christmas Morning.  I truly think I am actually excited again.


Keep your fingers crossed and keep sharp objects away from my bubble, it is amazingly strong and yet amazingly fragile.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you're getting excited about Christmas again. Christmas should be fun, not a family feud.

    I am lucky to have not had to experience that, but after Grannie passed and my parents started spending Christmas in Florida, I was stressing about it.
    We had the same traditions for years, and I'm not one for change.
    But eventually I thought about it and realized our long-time tradition wasn't always our tradition. We used to didn't get together at Grannie's every year. Near as I can remember, we didn't start that until the year my Papa died, when I was 12.

    So then I realized it was okay to change traditions, and start new ones of our own.

    You know what's kinda funny though was to find out, I had always thought the boys were rather ambivalent towards the whole holiday thing other than Santa's Delivery Christmas morning, until one year I changed things, and they did not like that at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard, I wrote about it too! So glad you've got your Christmas mojo back! Let's Celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that was hard to read. Your post was all lined up on the left side.

    Hubby and I stopped trying to please everyone and decided to start making our own traditions. We took a stand and said we are staying home. If you want to come and visit us, you are more than welcome. It has worked.

    Christmas is relaxing instead of crazy. We have also limited the amount of gifts the children get and we do not give gifts to the adults. We make it about Jesus but doing the advent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a child, I was used to Christmas being flexible (and Santa being a mind reader) as my dad ran restaurants that were always open Christmas and my mom was a nurse. We celebrated the day anywhere from the 22th to the 26th. They always made the day about being with family...instead of focusing on the when. That habit served me well in adulthood, since I married a firefighter. My parental units don't blink when it comes to moving Christmas.

    Hubby's folks? Much more of a struggle, in fact, it's just like you describe. There was alot of fussing about the "next" christmas when I was pregnant with my first (she came right after christmas and she was the first grand on all sides). However, my little Miss Chatterbox ended up being so sick her first year, that we couldn't expose her to many people, let alone travel with her and all her equipment. So we told the fam when they could come if they wanted to be a part of it...we weren't going to be schleeping her around all creation. There was ALOT of fussing about it, but I can be a b$#%h when it comes to keeping my kids safe and I just didn't care.

    I'm really happy you got your Christmas happy back. I LOVE Christmas. I get so excited to find that special present for each person that I'm sure they will love. I love wrapping them and hanging the extra homemade orgnament on them!!! I love the christmas baking and cookie decorating. I get more excited for them to open them, than to open any myself. Auburn, at almost 3, now "gets" christmas and the traditions and it has been a fun holiday season so far!! In fact, I'm smiling just writing about it and getting all excited. We are going to the parade next weekend and Santa's riding the firetruck with daddy! I can't wait to see Auburn's face about that one!!

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesomeness. Pure awesomeness.

    Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...