Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Don't Be Afraid

After spending an afternoon cleaning out the girls' hair and dodging projectile vomit, I still had to go back to work.  I have been in my current position for 1 year and 7 weeks.  (We just had conferences, which come at the 6 week mark.  Makes tabulation quite easy.)  One of my FAVORITE things about this school is the technology. We are a 1:1 laptop school.  Every student, 6-12, has a laptop computer.  Sounds perfect, right?  Well, I think so.  Helps me move towards a paperless classroom, no excuses about printers, access to soooo many pieces of software that helps aid their journey through education.  Sounds great, doesn't it.  Afterall, with 3 sick kids and two heads that had creepy crawlies yesterday, I can still teach my kids.  I am home and still teaching.  How cool is that, right?  Not all parents think the same way I do.

Last night, I had a wake up call. A half filled lecture all.  Our principal brought us in (his technology "rock stars") to speak to the parents.  One of the English teachers puts together an awesome Prezi, we all smiled and bragged about what cool things we are doing.  Then it was opened to the parents.  Want to know what they were upset with - no books.  So many of our books are e-books now.  That we provide.  Saves a ton of money!  Sounds good, right?  Nope, they forget the questions as they look for the answers, two windows open at once is a no go, why don't all publishers make their books the same, my kid won't give me their Moodle password...on and on.  One common theme that came up throughout the night, "my 6th grade boy." 

That says it all, I have a 6th grade boy.  But what the difference is with the other 6th grade boys and mine - they don't have me at home with them.  I am a rock star after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...