Monday, February 24, 2014

Beg, Borrow and Steal

Maybe STEAL is a bit dramatic, but teachers are in a desperate place these days.  Budgets are cut, class sizes are increased and the public demands that we finds ways to do more with less.  Some days it seems like we are climbing an impossible mountain.  Other days, the kids are amazing and breathe new life into us to keep fighting for them.  This semester has done just that.  My kids have stopped fighting the structure that comes with my teaching style and begun to protest if we deviate too much from what they have come to expect.  Truly, both a blessing and a curse.  Work is coming and THOUGHT is being put into it.  We are having discussions and debates and moving beyond pure regurgitation.  HIGHER LEVEL OF THINKING!!  OMG - total teacher nirvana to see the growth.  

NOW, please don't think that I have found the secret to urban education and that we that all is sunshine and roses...not the case.  BUT, compared to the beginning of the year, night and day is  the difference here, for sure.

This rejuvenation has caused me to take a look at some of the projects that I left simmering on the back of the stove.  Luckily, I was not gone TOO long and had everything boil over, but there is a time crunch here, for sure.  

Last fall, I wrote about an amazing website that links teachers in need and donors - around the world - DonorsChoose.org. They are amazing!  Through the love and generosity of my friends and family, near and far, I was able to get 2 FULL CLASS sets of graphic novels to use with our Holocaust Unit.  Through that project, Drawn and Quarterly also donated a class set of books - amazingly without question!  And I was moved, literally to the point of tears.  


My real live VHS collection.
My last project was an attempt to update my DVD library.  Much of what I have is still on VHS.  Sad, I know, BUT there is still a VCR in my classroom - that is hooked up to my cyclops, so beggars can't choosers. If I cannot find it on YouTube, NetFlix or some other on-line source...or if the server goes down and we cannot access the interweb like Friday it becomes an issue.  (knock on as much as possible if you read that)  It is nice to have a hard copy to rely on.  So, I put together a third project for Donors Choose...and then life happened and I forgot.


Until I started looking for ideas...and an email came saying that AT&T had generously offered to adopt my program and pay for HALF of my project!  How AWESOME is that THAT!  Thanks AT&T!!!!!  

Now, I have FOUR DAYS left to find the remaining $127!  Many of you have given generously and I am eternally grateful!  I really, truly am!  Please don't feel guilted to donate again, that is not my point.  HOWEVER, if you could share this site, my DonorsChoose.org page on social media, I will be oh so thankful!  Even a dollar or two can make this happen! 

Thank you in advance.  SHARE AWAY, MY FRIENDS!!!

An AMAZING FireWife took care of this, less than 30 minutes after I posted it!  NEVER doubt the power of Fire Wives!  Thank you, my friend!!  <3 <3 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...