Sunday, March 13, 2011

Mean Teacher!

I heard through the grapevine that is what my reputation has become.  Well, not mean, but hard.  My FF subbed at our Lower Campus Thursday and Friday.  Our school is one big incestual family - per my department chair who has been on staff since 1980.  Everyone is married to someone within the school family.  As he points out his former students, "she used to be a "Smith" but she married a "Jones"  and her mom is a "Johnson."  All of these names have been changed, but you get the idea.  Many of our alum marry other alum.  All of the families are somehow seemingly related.  I was told it was good that we have four kids, because we bring new blood to the gene pool.  Aside from that, we also have several alum who are now back as staff.  One such staff member is at our Lower Campus (PreK-5).  She told my FF that her son is afraid to take my class next year because it is so hard.

J told me this while I was grading papers this afternoon.  So, I looked through my gradebook.  Mind you, we are only 2 weeks into the term, so one assignment can swing your grade quite drastically.  Anyway, no one is failing my class - I have 1 D and 2 Cs.  Last term NO ONE earned a D or F from me - period.  That is unheard of.  Which leads me to my conclusion - Students will rise to meet your expectations if they know you won't be lowering your standards.  That means I am doing my job - making them reach farther than they thought they needed to and expand their horizons.

I am okay with being that mean teacher.

4 comments:

  1. You go! Be the "mean" teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - Welcome to my totally rambling insights! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...