Saturday, August 11, 2012

Things That Go Bump in the Night

You know how it is.  You're sure you heard something, but you don't want to wake him up and take the razzing for being the damsel in distress.  Except that he's not here.  And that means there is no one to bust your chops if it is all for nothing.  But after our home was invaded six months ago, I am much more trusting of my gut, even if it means I take some crap if I am wrong.  There are four sleeping angels who trust me to keep them safe.  I need to do that.  

I know I have a couple hundred pounds of canine that have thousands of years of guarding instincts running through their veins.  I also know that there is an amazing firewife just next door.  Our FFs work the same shift and she would be here in a heartbeat.  There's another fire family - with the exact same house number just a few streets away, that I am certain would be here if something was wrong.  I know I am okay.  I know the kids are okay.  The pyrs are sleeping soundly - one by the front door - because B fell asleep on the couch and I left him there - and the other at the foot of my bed, protecting me.  They will tell me at their first inclination that something is off.  And they will protect us to their death.  I know that. 

But as I started to drift off, I heard something.  And the adrenaline kicked in.  And now I am WIDE awake.

8AM mass will be here soon.  I need to turn off my radar ears and get my juices to quit flowing quite so quickly.  Netflix will rescue me, I am certain.  But, what if I heard something...

Ahh, the things that go bump in the night.  Such is the life of a firewife.

Kiss your firefighters, tell them how much you love them.  Hug your kids and be sure they know how amazing they are.  Everyday.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean, Trina. We live in a neighborhood that...well, not much I can say about it without being accused of being an "ignorant southern racist". At any rate, scary things happen around here sometimes, mostly, of course, at night.

    Plus, we live in an antique house that creaks and pops with even the slightest temp or humidity change. For years I was convinced we were infested with ghosts walking around upstairs, lol.

    I often hear a noise just right as I'm about to fall asleep. Eyes pop open, heart pounding. What was that???
    So I lay there and listen, and wonder if I just dreamed it.

    Eventually I get up and go around looking out all the windows and doors. Then I go around again and turn on outside lights and look around. I figure if someone's out there, then they'll know they were heard, and that someone's up and waiting on them. (We have pickup trucks in the yard, it's pretty well given we're armed.)

    After I've checked around and/or warned any potential intruders off, then I'm able to go back to bed and go to sleep.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...