Friday, April 26, 2013

Pinterest DIY - Dishwasher edition

Okay, I am actually enjoying the satisfaction that comes with making some of these mundane items myself.  I am also okay with the fact that it is saving us a bit of money as we go.  So far the laundry detergent has worked beautifully.  It smells good and even with my muppets, the clothes have come clean.  Now, from the truth and accuracy department, I will probably still keep liquid on hand as a stain pre-treater, because I do still have the aforementioned muppets.

After the success with the laundry detergent, I decided to try my hand at dishwasher detergent.  I found another "recipe" that I thought looked good at Make It or Fix it Yourself.  I might have to peruse other posts, but I should probably wait until after I have all of my current projects taken care of.  Once ideas get into my head, they don't seem, to leave until I give them a shot. 


Ingredients:
2 cups of Borax 
2 cups of Baking Soda (there's about 1 1/2 cups in a box)
2 packets of unsweetened lemonade (I used pink lemonade because that was what I had on hand)
1/2 cup of Kosher Salt
1/2 cup of vinegar
ice cube trays (I used heart shaped silicone trays that I use for brownie bites and V-day crayons)
wax paper (optional)



I mixed the dry ingredients and then added the vinegar.  I think will do this with the Muppets because they would love the chemical reaction.  It almost has the consistency of wet sand that has begun to dry out, if that makes any sense.  It is what my mind imagines Moon Sand to feel like, but I have not verified that.  Although, I am most certain the kids would love to test out my hypothesis for me.




It really took no time at all.  After mixing it, I just kinda dumped it into the molds and then used wax paper to pack it in.  It was a bit messy, but nothing terrible.  Play-doh is much worse.  Hmmm, speaking of Play-doh, O would love to make her own.  Pinterest??  Nevermind.  Back to the the dishwasher...

Anyway, the original post set the trays in the sunlight to dry them out, thereby hardening them.  Sunlight here, has become a scarce commodity lately.  So, I thought I would be smart and put them under our growlights for the seedlings.  Unfortunately, our basement is too cool. So, after 24 hours we through the silicone trays into the oven at the warming setting for half an hour.  That was perfect.  They were nicely hardened and ready to go.  And, being in the silicone molds, they popped out oh, so nicely.  The dishwasher is running, I will let you know how they turn out.

It is Friday, enjoy it.  If your FFs are on shift, find something fun to do with your Muppets or your circle o' girls.  In wake of the craziness of the last few weeks, send a text letting them know you are thinking of them.  If they are sitting next to you, put my blog away and go cuddle up with them.  Nothing is guaranteed, share your love now.  Happy Friday! 

1 comment:

  1. Love! I think I'm going to tackle some of these homemade items this summer.

    Why this summer? Why not now, when I'm stuck inside anyway? Not a clue. I just don't feel like doing stuff when it's chilly or rainy outside. Which is really the perfect time to do making and creating. Argh.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...