Saturday, September 10, 2011

Never Forget

The Milwaukee Fire Department honored the 343 firefighters that lost their lives trying to save those who were trapped after the hijacked planes hit the twin towers.  They held a silent memorial, had turnout gear with the names of every one of the 343 lined up on the apron of Engine 2 for 343 minutes.  The honor guards from MFD and North Shore FD were there.  It was a very moving sight.  I really have no words.

But, what struck me the most was when I found my husband's gear.  At first, I snickered at the fact that his 'Probationary' shield was on his helmet.  (They just recently decided all cubs had to use that shield in lieu of their regular one, so close to the end of their cub year.) Then the reality of it struck me.  That was my husband's gear, in the fallen firefighter formation.  I am not supposed to see his gear like that - ever.  And yet, here it was. With the name of Firefighter Paul Gill, from Engine 54 on his helmet.

Firefighter Paul Gill was 34 when he made the ultimate sacrifice.  He was 34 and became a firefighter later in life, like my husband. FF Gill was an artist, a carpenter, a son, a father who  left behind two boys and a Hero.

FF Paul Gill
April 11, 1967 - September 11, 2001

You have NOT been forgotten!
We will NEVER forget!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...