Monday, March 12, 2012

I Just Don't Get It

As much as I'd like to think I am in touch with the teenagers I work with everyday, I am reminded more and more that I am now 20 years older than they are.  I am one of the "popular" teachers which is good and bad.  I never have an empty classroom.  I am on overload again this term, which means no prep periods for me.  So my 23 minute lunch break is sacred.  But, I still have kids in on a regular basis, which, really, is okay.  But it means there are kids in my classroom from 6:30 (mine) until we get out at 3pm.  I still have kids after school.  So, you would think I would have the pulse of the kids.  Um, yeah, not so much.


Being the Junior Class adviser, one of my biggest chores is prom.  After the drinking at Homecoming, there is a lot of pressure to have a Post-prom and the kids are fighting it tooth and nail.  Especially if it is mandatory.  


Let me paint the picture for you, prom gets out at 11pm.  From there, post-prom, which includes unlimited amounts of the following...


  • Go-Karts
  • Mini-golf
  • Bumper boats
  • Laser Tag
  • Batting Cages
  • Bumper Cars
  • Ballocity (like a big kid play land)
These Bumper Boats at night, I'm in!
 It also includes pizza and breakfast.  And the kids are fussin'.  When I was in high school, I would have JUMPED at this.  These guys would rather go to a sleepover at someone's house.  YAWN!  Can you say BORING?  It is not mandatory, yet.  And that is their sticking point.
Ballocity

My sarcastic side comes out and says, "NO!  PLEASE don't MAKE me ride go-karts with my friends all night.  I would HATE to play Laser tag all night."  I just don't get it.  My thoughts?  Fine, don't come.  I will sell the tickets and then open it up to the sophomore class to fill up the remaining spots and you guys have fun at your sleepovers.





Thanks to Action Territory for being so awesome and accommodating!!

2 comments:

  1. We had after-prom at my school, and I loved it. It was optional, but a TON of people went. I'd say close to half.

    Nothing nearly as fancy either, and we still had a blast.

    For my junior prom we had a lock-in at the YMCA (optional, but once you were there, you were there all night). They had basketball & volleyball tourneys, and just general goofing around.

    For my senior prom they rented out a movie theatre. We had 3 (I think) movies to pick from, and they just ran on a loop all night. So you could watch one, then go in the next theatre & watch another.

    At both, they had tons of door prized donated form local business.

    I loved it. Honestly, you can spend the night with your friends anytime. But there's only one night a year you can spend the night having fun with ALL your friends at the same time.

    Hope you get it to happen, and hope the kids realize it's not as bad as they think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids won't even go to prom, but I bet if you told them there was go-karts and laser tag and bumper boats and cars and pizza, they would be the first in line.

    So color me not getting it, either.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...