Friday, March 16, 2012

Plague?

Photo: Soviet anti-plague scientistsI think it has hit.  I am waiting for the CDC to quarantine us, drape the house...not a pretty sight here.


We had near 70s on Sunday ...yes...in March...in Wisconsin.  And I say, shivering, in a tanktop (silly girl you say, put on somethin' warmer), a turtleneck (still not done, yet), a hoody (keep going...) and a spare comforter.  Yup, SHIVERING.  We sat on the front porch, trying to study med cards, and I was shivering.  This from the gal that goes bare legged and as close to bare foot as possible once it hits 40s and sun.  I can't count on one hand how many days I have worn more that a light lambskin jacket in  the last 3 months, most days just my sweater will do.   Hubby got kind a cranky when I did not want to eat the dinner he made or help with the kids at bedtime. The 103.7 fever was rather uncomfortable, but was down by the time I wanted to go to work on Monday, so I did.


BIG MISTAKE.


Coughing, ribbiting like a frog as I spoke, the dang chills came back.  Wanna know the best part??  IT WAS A BLUE SHIFT!  Shocked?  Me neither.


Next AM, no way I was taking the kids to school.  I literally fell into the wall, going to the bathroom.  Don't you hate it when it jumps right out in front of you like that!!??    I was not going to drive 4 kids to school and my kids at school already expected me to stay home.  (Turns out they followed my lead...about 20% of my kids were missing, nearly 1/3 of one particular class.)  Hubby took them into school after he got home...but kept calling my phone, hard to sleep that way.  Whatever.


Next AM, still not good, but now...Yup, you guessed it...my FF and my little one...both burning up.  Sigh...just once...can't I be the ONLY sick one, that everyone else takes care of.  Just ONCE??? <sigh> Ah well, we are quite a team.


Next AM, finally back to work with the 3 oldest muppets, AFFA (Against Firefighter's Advice ).  I took O to bed with us that night (on my side of course), hoping to spare D from the virus, seeing as the girls choose to sleep in the SAME bed.  So, I got up with her at 2:36 in the FREAKIN' AM.  Her fever was so high, she just couldn't get comfortable. It was an early release day, by this point my high schoolers were sending me emails asking me to come back...no real choice.  I get in, still no voice, they are amazed that it is physically possible for me to speak quietly.  Kids are great, but fever returns, ears they are a-ringing and some cottonmouth just for fun.  Get a text before lunch, my kindergartener is the next victim, Daddy had to go get her. 
 

Fast forward to today, after getting up just after bartime yesterday, I have yet to sleep.  Yup, 1:56 in the PM and no sleep since yesterday, two-thirty-ish.  I ended up with both firegirls (in the most literal, as well as symbolic ways possible) in bed with me, while my hubby slept elsewhere.  (XY predisposition???) Yeah, still not near 70% much less 100%, having to work in the AM and I get custody of the girls...not that I am complaining.  (Truth and accuracy dept. requires I disclose the stomping and slamming of various objects at 0500, however).  Get my two remaining soldiers off to battle and teach a half day.  (Don't judge... it was a loooooooonnnnggggg half day). My Period A class and I sanitized my class when the lightbulb came on about how many of my students had been out all week.  (Medicine head makes me slow, what can I say.)  I am home now and I find myself trying to hide upstairs, only to have these creatures covered in snot, with various degrees of pallor, continually needing things.  You know...food...water... acetaminophen.  Not sure where they came from...but they truly don't look familiar.  They keep calling me "momma". Creepy, I know. (For the record, all while my hubby, who has slept all night and all morning, sleeps in the recliner.  just sayin'.)


It is all good.  I drank two Red Bulls by 9am.  I got my wings.  I am hoping to be able to turn the reins over to my firefighter tonight when the kids go to bed.  He should be able to handle the sleeping part now that the worst of it has passed.  And me..to sleep...perchance to dream...


Wash your hands, sneeze into your elbow, take your fever reducers...oh wait, maybe you escaped the plague.

4 comments:

  1. Augh, you poor babies :( It's so miserable being sick. I hope y'all can shake off the plague and feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog! I am a new fire wife. My husband is in the fire academy for City of Atlanta. I would love for anyone to follow my blog www.atlantafirewife.com . Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to firewife life!!! Good luck, the academy was the hardest part, so I hope all is going well. I have your link on my list of firewives' blogs on the right. Shoot me an email if you are interested in chatting.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boo! I hate it when everyone is sick! Hope everyone feels better soon! I haven't had the plague, but I understand how you feel. I even pay a nanny to be here for a couple of hours when hubs is alone with the girls while I work. And the second I walk in the house, he literally sprints for the door!
    This week I found out I had a kidney infection that needed IV antibiotics and (Here I thought I was just being a wimp about back pain in preggo - doc was like, "damn girl ,how are you standing" when she saw the test results) and a nasty "other" infection and I STILL was the one to get up with the teething six month old and nightmare ridden 3 year old.
    Men. LOL. At least they're good for the heavy lifting :)

    Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...