Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Heroes come in many sizes

We spent the afternoon at my sister-in-law's the other day.  We have to watch our time carefully because the  pick up traffic is insane at the kids' school.  Anyway, on our way home, J's phone rings in my lap and it is the kids' school.  I worry for a moment. Instantly, I wonder if O is going to need stitches somewhere above her shoulders.  The principal is on the other end.

"I just wanted to personally call you.  We had a bit of an incident at school and N was involved."  

Not what a mom wants to hear. You should have seen the wheels turning in my brain as I try to figure out which of the possible situations was the one she was referring to.  He has ALWAYS played copper in the classroom, reminding people of the rules and regulations.  I thought for sure that had gotten him in trouble.

She went on to tell me that he overheard another pair of kids' heated discussion yesterday.  Today, the one who felt wronged, brought a knife to school and was ready to use.  N, heard it, took the kid who was the intended target out of the hallway and into a classroom, where he closed the door.  And then found a teacher to intervene. Amazing who quick he was, thinking on his feet.  I was proud beyond words.

The principal assured me that this had never happened in the school as long as she had been here.  Especially since we did some politicking to get into this school when we brought the kids back into the city.  She told us within a week or two how thrilled she was to have the muppets.  My FF just went in that morning to see if they needed anyone for the governance council next year...and then this happens.  It could happen anywhere, we both know it.  The issue at hand really is HOW it is addressed.  

The child will not be back and it is a sad statement, really.  There was an issue and that was the only solution he could see to make things right.  The trust of adults or discussion was not there.  And that is heartbreaking.  But at the same time, I am so proud to be N's Momma.  He's mine and he did well.  He was brave.  He's a bit frightened to go back to school. He did intervene when someone threatened to kill someone else and had a knife in his hand at that moment.  He made a difference.  Too often, too many people turn a blind eye to things just like this.  He will keep this with him for his entire life.  This was a life lesson and he did well.  

Some heroes where capes, some camo, some bunkers.  Mine, he wears Vans.

6 comments:

  1. You are raising a wonderful young man. The family values lived at home make such a positive impact.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am so very proud and it is moments like this when the messy bedrooms and forgotten homework really seem minor. Thanks for joining me here.

      Delete
  2. What an awesome young man he is! Absolutely wonderful.

    (Love the picture of big brother holding little sister's hand!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a certain amount of pride. He is amazing with the girls, now if I could only get him to be as patient with his brother!

      Delete
  3. What an amazing young man. You have taught them well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My heart skipped a beat when that phone call came in, but I am so glad that all the values we have tried to instill have carried over to the real world. I am so proud. Now, we have to home it carries over to the rest of his life!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...