Friday, April 13, 2012

Home


I find myself thinking about home.  Where is home? What makes a home?  Defining home.  I have decided the old cliche is true.  Home is indeed where your heart is.
 
Last night we went to a tiny UCC church for a concert for the annual Lakeland College Choir tour, which now includes the band.   And it was like being home again.  Seeing all of the kids (and WOW do they look young...maybe I am just old) running around before the concert.  A couple playing on the piano before the concert.  We have all been there.  Four years of choir tours.  Blizzards, bad lasagna, making the Mitchell Park Domes come alive with sound with an impromptu concert, crossing the border before passports were needed, building lifelong friendships, staying up so late watching the sunrise just to sing early in the morning and of course - choir tour romances.
 
Ahhh, I had one of those.  A choir tour romance.  It seems there was one every year.

Mine was with a quiet guy.  Butterfly city - I never got butterflies.  I had tried to start something with him earlier in the fall, but he had his eyes set on another girl.  One we'll call "FishHead" (story for another day). So he blew me off.  Then on this choir tour, it seemed like every time we got on the bus, the only seat open for me was next to him.  Now, I was not looking for romance.  I had just started seeing a guy back on campus.  By seeing, I mean watching hockey in his room.  It was a young relationship, if you could call it that after a week or so.  On tour, I just kept getting "stuck" with this Mr. Nice Guy.  

We started hanging out.  Everyone started to notice.  My own friends warned me that this guy was nice, too nice for me.  I wasn't ready to settle down, they all told me.  I believe there was a "wild mustang" metaphor thrown in there.  So, I tried to cool things off with Mr. Nice Guy, but somehow we kept getting put together.

Ahh, the memories.  I'll have to dig out the pictures and scan them.  It was long before digital cameras.

Anyway, last night the conductor - a woman who has influenced my life in more ways that she will ever know - dedicated one of my favorite pieces to us, my hubby and me.  It was Biebel's Ave Maria.  Probably my favorite piece of my college career, maybe top 5 ever.  This piece was even more near and dear to my heart, under the baton of this same conductor.  Against better judgement, she lead a men's choir of our most amazing friends performing this very piece  at my wedding.  (I'll have to get it converted to DVD so I can share it!) When she made the dedication to us and shared with the audience that it was from our wedding, it brought tears to my eyes.  I never cry in public.  It was a bit different coming from a mixed choir and of course our guys rocked it even more amazingly.  We were the best, of course!  :D  But, it moved me more than I expected.  

Please take a moment to listen, it is an amazing piece.

I think it was everything last night -  nostalgia, homesickness where we are now and knowing that what we were witnessing was a reminder of where my family got its start.  This choir tour reminded me of our most simplest of beginnings - a choir tour romance that would be over as soon as we got back to campus.  However, what no one saw coming is that I might actually marry Mr. Nice Guy, but I did.  My firefighter and I got our start just like these kids.  Singing in small churches for our supper. 

Lakeland College 1862 ~ 2012If you are around, here are two more performances -
  • April 13 - First Congregational United Church of Christ, 724 E. South River St., Appleton, 7 p.m.
  • April 14 - Union Congregational UCC, 716 S. Madison St., Green Bay, 3 p.m.
There is also a Homecoming concert on Campus at 3 pm. You will not be disappointed.
To the Muskies reading this, we are heading to the Sesquicentennial reunion this summer, let me know if you are.  After the concert last night, I can hardly wait! 

1 comment:

  1. Aww!! What a sweet memory! I'm glad you have that with your hubs! I absolutely agree that home is where your heart is. I lived in 11 states and went to 7 schools (not counting college) so there isn't a "place" that gives me a sense of home. It's the people I'm around. :) Great story!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...