Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Metal and carbon

Metal and Carbon.  That is all it is.  J has been telling me that for years.  The hunk of metal and carbon on my left hand, as well as his, is just a symbol it is nothing more than that.  But why does its absence bug me?  Ahh, wedding rings.

I am not too girly about much, but this is definitely an issue that brings me in touch with my inner-femininity. I am all mushy and gushy about those rings.  Mine NEVER comes off.  I even got sappy when J wanted to buy me a bigger diamond for my engagement ring.  I don't set it on the night stand, take it off to shower or ANYTHING.  It comes off for surgery and for inspections and that is it!!  J on the other hand, can take it or leave it.  He tells me he knows he's married, his guys know he's married, so the ring is not that important.    And I KNOW he can't wear it while he works.  So, that doesn't bother me - much.

But when he comes home, he never thinks of it.  It sits, right where he left it, looking so sad and lonely.  I would feel so naked! It usually sits where he left it, until I break down and take it to him.  And it bothers me.  Ah well - this is officially the small stuff, as in "Don't sweat the..." and I will indeed get over it.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.  They must be felt within the heart.

~Helen Keller~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...