Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Wish me luck, AGAIN!

I teach at a Catholic pre-K-12 school.  I am the theology Department Chair and Church History guru.  What I am not, is the Campus Minister.  It is not something that I aspire to be.  I am happy being mommy #2 for a ton of kids.  I am okay being the hard nosed teacher who reminds them where the boundaries are.  I am HORRIBLY uncomfortable in the campus minister role, and here I am wearing that hat for a day or two.

We have all of our Upper Campus going on retreat for the next two days and it is a hot mess. This is the first time that everyone is going at the same time. The 6-8 graders will be working with the NET team for one day and our principal another.  I am working with the juniors tomorrow and the freshman the day after (our Campus Minister is bringing someone in for the opposite days) and our sophomores and seniors are on an overnight retreat.  Last year, I was a chaperone for the sophomore retreat, it was a relationship retreat and it was AWESOME! It was SO tiring, but the kids were great, it helped me build a relationship with them for this year.  The leaders at the Tyme-Out Center were phenomenal  and I was happy with someone else putting it together and me working with my group of misfit toys.  This year I am planning, implementing and leading a day long retreat.  All day with 75 teenagers each day.  Let's just say that I am out of my comfort zone, especially given the fact that I was not given much notice. BUT, I had 100 balloons blown up (just so the kids can pop them tomorrow!), 10 large washers with 8 strings tied to each for some teambuilding with tennis balls and solo cups, a really cool Glog (in my opinion anyway) for Run, See, Do, some cool reflective moments (I hope), some recently blessed class rings for the ring ceremony and a few good laughs in store (Again, at least I hope so).  And yet, I am freaking out as we speak and my hubby is at E2 for a study group.  My kids are acting like loons, all because I really need to gt something done.  7:30pm can't come soon enough!!

So, I chose a theme that revolves around humility, empathy, compassion and respect.  The verse I chose for the school year's theme reflects this as well:

As God's chosen ones, holy and beloved,clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness,humility, meekness and patience
~Colossians 3:12

It was a feeling that I was getting from our kids, something that they were lacking in their everyday interactions.  I am hoping that the next two days will be a good reminder for them.  My goal is for them to feel rejuvenated and to perhaps get in contact with their faith, while having fun and not realizing that they are developing their spirituality.  I took a lot of the games and activities from my days in Ropes and Challenges and adapted the reflection to reflect our theme.  I am hopeful that we will be able to pull this off.  Please wish me luck!

Verses to guide us from the Gospels...


"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."
~Matthew 7:7
"Do unto others, whatever you would have them do to you."  ~ Matthew 7:12

"For the one who is the least among all of you, is the one who is the Greatest."  ~Luke 9:38


2 comments:

  1. I can understand why you are nervous about it but it sounds like you have it all planned out real nice. I always liked when we did retreats in school where you were becoming more spiritual without even realizing it. I remember at one retreat they announced that there were going to be Help Letters given out from our families. Most of us were feeling bad because we didn't know about it so we had not told our families. Well, it turned out that no one knew about it and the school called our parents and asked them to have people write to us. We each ended up with a big packet of letters from our loved ones offering support for our retreat and telling us how much they loved us. It was really great! Good luck and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...