Monday, July 16, 2012

Heartbreaking

I know budget cuts are everywhere - I am a teacher, married to a firefighter.  I get it . We need to trim the fat.  I get it.  The market crashed, the economy crashed.  The old norm is now a memory of the good old days.  It will be the chat at the Beer Fence, the remember when discussion, the material for retirement speeches.  The good old days.
I talk to my friends who are firewives in other parts of the country, the fire department is still seen as important pillars of the community - valued. 


Here, my husband has been sworn at repeatedly while snowblowing in his turnout gear - in front of our children by irate citizens who thinks he makes so much money - during a blizzard to make sure the rigs can get out safely when someone collapses with chest pains while shoveling said snow.  The department is constantly under fire for eating meals together.  They are publicly disparaged for grocery shopping and sitting in the bay on a nice day.  There is even a push among the public for 8 hour work days for FFs.  <eyeroll> I don't think the FFs I have come in contact with have hero complexes that are so often associated with being on the job.  Like any other field some are better than others at what they do.  Some are jerks and some are amazing.  Some have aspirations to crawl up the ladder, while others are content to be FFs forever and ever amen. But that is just life.  Show me a profession that does not see those discrepancies among drive and work ethic.


We have seen our fair share of the effects of the budgets - some in terms of staffing, some in the way of benefits and salaries.  Again, tightening the belt is just part of life.  We have had brown outs and companies taken out of service, but NOTHING like this.





Peace, healing and safe returns to the Detroit Fire Department.  Be sure to have each other's backs, it seems like no one else in the political arena will.  Be patient, but strong.  Continue to serve, but come home safe to your families.  Know that we are all thinking of you at this moment of true crisis.

5 comments:

  1. That's terrible, Trina, I can't believe people treat your husband and their firefighters like that! (And they say Southerners are ignorant??)

    I feel like that card on Pinterest that goes like, "I need to quit asking how stupid can people be...they're starting to take it as a personal challenge!"

    I don't know too much about Detroit or what's going on there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Detroit just shut down quite a few companies. I think the number was 164 FFs were laid off. They simply ran out of money. Officers were demoted and FFs were let go. :(

      Delete
  2. OMGoodness. That had me in tears.

    Things aren't TOO bad here, although FireMan's dept has had its share of criticisms. No longer allowed to eat at a restaurant together because so many citizens complained, even though they were paying with their own personal money. Talks of not letting them go to the grocery store to get food to cook at the firehouse. Talks of cuts.

    Unfortunately many citizens don't think a fire dept is worth they $$... until its their house on fire. When will they learn?

    So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trina, I'm sorry they do this. I'm grateful our firefighters aren't 9-5, although for a while, the station was only staffed then and they were at home on call (with the paramedic truck) at night. Somehow, my medically fragile child often likes those wee morning hours. Once as I apologized for getting them up, they said it was almost time to get up anyway. I called the bluff and pointed out it was only 4:30 a.m. and we were already en route to the hospital. Even when they're well compensated, I don't think you can really put a price on a good firefighter/medic. Thanks for sharing your husband so others can be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will never understand people who feel the need to swear at other people who are doing their job. I'm also tired of hearing "well we all need to make cuts." The cuts keep coming from the same places...and they affect the most vulnerable. And I don't mean the FF or the PD or the teachers or the public mental/physical health workers are the vulnerable ones, but the people they serve.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...