Sunday, July 8, 2012

My Bathroom

I LOVE our new house, except for the bathroom.  I am trying to love the bathroom.  But it is little and it is tiled, has chrome built-ins over the sink and dated 50s colors.  The shower curtain was here when we moved in, I just changed out the liner until I could figure out what to do. It is "sufficient" as my grandmother called it.  What more do I need?  It has a tub with a shower, a toilet and a sink.  There you go.  I have a towel rack that can actual lie nearly flat to the wall.




So, I am turning my sour grapes into wine...or maybe I need some wine...anyway.  Back to the story at hand.




 I would like to replace the medicine cabinet, and actually I have one - new, in the box, in the garage.  But, My FF does not think it will fit.  I think I will pursue this later.  I thought that they were standard, but what do I know.  There are little flowers on it and there is one missing on lower right hand corner.  It SCREAMS at me every time I brush my teeth or wash my face.  Weird, yes, but none-the-less I see every time I am in the bathroom.


 
See, doesn't it just JUMP out at you as well??

So, back to my sour grapes into wine.  (Thinking I need a drink??) 

I started with something for the walls, trying to work with the colors at hand and  that helped.  I love these tin signs - think I found these at Hobby Lobby.  It kept my Parisian theme going throughout the first floor and tied in the turquoise tile, which suddenly did not look so dated.



As you leave the bathroom, there is a good reminder next to the door.  It also ties in the colors, as well.


Then I covered the dingy old switch plate, which I could have just as easily replaced.  But, work with what you have has been my motto lately and here you have it.  Some scrapbook paper and some Mod Podge and there you have it.  Again, tying in the colors of the tile.


The shower curtain is not my cup of tea, hence my search for a replacement.  I am trying to keep the colors and most of what I find are plastic cheesy curtains.  At that point I can just keep this one.  I have not found anything that I like in the world of Brick and Mortar, so as usual, I hit the cyber world.  I found one at Target and I think this maybe the one I go with. It has a little bit more of a grown-up feel to it and a bit of the Parisian flavor as well.  Thoughts?


8 comments:

  1. I used to despise the old tiling and colors, and now I wish my bathrooms were original (whatever that was. The house was remodeled in the 70-80's).

    My Mom and Dad bought a place in FL with this kind of tile. Mom went with a beachy theme, aqua/turquoise, pinkish and yellow/sand and shells, so it was pretty easy to make it look good.

    I don't know too much about a Parisian theme. My sister like the Frenchy pink & white shabby chic, but that's about all I know about it.

    The shower curtain looks nice and seems to match your colors. But I'm terrible at decorating, so don't depend on my opinion. I usually have to actually put whatever item in to see if it works or not.
    I'm really no good with prints, so most of my stuff like that, curtains, shower curtains, are solids. My downstairs bathroom has light blue curtains, with a white liner.

    The only reason my upstairs bathroom has a printed shower curtain is because I found it, with liner and rings, for 2 bucks at a yard sale. It didn't matter what it looked like because the bathroom is mid-renovation and is un-decorated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say take the turquoise and run with it. Paint the upper half a more updated version of the turquoise. Keep your parisian theme (cute pics) and accent with either rich mocha or light sand color (or some mix of both to give depth) and maybe even silver. Pick a very up to date curtain (like the one you show here) and I think the dated fixtures will fade into the background.

    What color is the vanity? Is it a rental, or could you paint it a richer brown?

    If you can't paint it, you could always pull off the door and hang some richer colored fabric in it's place. Which would again draw the eye away from the dated elements.

    Great start! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Bedroom has a Mocha wall with three sand walls. Soooo, I happen to have both of those colors on hand. I'm thinkin' my paintbrushes may be back out again.

      Delete
  3. Melissa - My "Parisian theme" started with Eiffel Tower lamps and b/w photos of Paris from the 20s in my living room, probably 7 or 8 years ago. Now I have french cooks in my kitchen, the bathroom you have seen, the dining room we'll have to call the French Quarter, it is more of a New Orleans Jazz scene kinda thing going on in there. So, when I saw the tin sign with the clawfoot tub that said Paris - I just went with the flow.

    Amber - with as much as I paint everything, I never thought of painting above the tile and the vanity. I could see past the tile. Which is funny because that was what I was totally planning on doing with the pink bathroom. I think I'll grab some paint chips once that curtain comes in. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bathroom looks good. Yeah, I think you should go with that shower curtain. It really goes well with your bathroom’s design. I love the way you transformed the switch. There’s just so much you can do with modge podge! :D

    -Guy Mccardle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, that bathroom needed a lot of work, indeed. The colors you picked made the area look livelier. As for me, any curtain design will perk up that area even further. :)


    -Darryl Iorio

    ReplyDelete
  6. That’s a nice shower curtain design, Tina. I like it! it will definitely add more life to your bathroom. Hmm...the ambiance of the bathroom is a little dull. I guess, it really needs an overall renovation. It doesn’t have to be a complete overhaul, sometimes adding just a little something to create more atmosphere helps.

    Randell Jeffries

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...