Monday, December 17, 2012

They were just babies...

I seem to always have something to say when there are senseless acts of violence.  Especially with the tragedies we have witness involve mass shootings.  

But this weekend, I couldn't process it.  I couldn't make it make sense in my mind.

I just couldn't.

Connecticut Community Copes With Aftermath Of Elementary School Mass Shooting
It did not help that I wept as they read through the names of the twenty 1st graders that will never be able to have their teeth straightened or celebrate their braces coming off with a big bowl of popcorn.  They will never have their heart broken by the one they thought was THE ONE.  They will never experience they elation that comes with saying "I do" when they find that ONE and the joy when their first child cries for the very first time. Even harder to hear that they shared names with my children.

All of the things they will miss out on, because of senseless violence.  

But even worse, the world will miss out on the gifts that they have to offer the world.  We will miss out the joys and discoveries they offer to us.

And WHY?

I don't know.

I spoke with my kids at school and they want to know "why?".  And I have no answer.  I told them my theory, which I am not sure this is the format to discuss, but I do not know why.

Yesterday I spent the afternoon with my lovely FireWife neighbor sorting presents that our parish donated for the families in need from our parish school.  My oldest helped sort and carry and label.  And it was no small feat.  And he did it willingly and joyfully.

THAT is what we should be talking about.  The community coming together.  Families preparing for the holiday season.

Not families preparing for final good-byes.  Not communities in despair.  I think of the firefighters and law enforcement and ER staff and...teachers.  And I weep.  

We will be conducting our Lock Down drill tomorrow.  So sad and so very real.

Offer your prayers of healing for the families devastated at what should be among the most joyous times of the year.  Hug those kids of yours tight and tell them how much you love them.  Check on your firefighters and make sure they are doing okay.  They see things we can only imagine in the darkest places of our minds.  And they come home to use to help with the mundane chores we fuss about.  Be sure you take care of the caregivers.  They need us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...