Wednesday, May 16, 2012

My Mommy Wish list

I have been finding myself wondering if I am a good enough mom, as the bedrooms get messy and my tempers rears its fierce red head while I am trying to do 4 things at once and they are bickering.  I am not a Mommy that has every minute of the day scheduled, I prefer the "Go out and Play" schedule of our world.  But, what if I am missing in some areas.  A post on FB yesterday by a friend of mine from high school started me thinking...over lunch, when I clearly had other work I could have been doing.  Being a teacher, what outcomes do I want to see in my child.  Outcome Based Education is indeed one of the buzz words in the ed world over the last few years.  And now it made its way into my head when thinking about my family.  I guess that is a side effect of the profession.


I decided I wanted it to apply to all of my children, not to be specific to a certain child or gender.  I also wanted to limit it to 10 -15 things.  I can be wordy and go on and on.


I love this author, but mainly just
used it because the fire background
is so fitting. :)
Here it is...


My Mommy Wish List



  • First and foremost, I hope my children to know love.  To know unconditional, even-when-I-am-mad-at-you-I-will-never-stop-loving-you love.  Not only that they are graced with it, but also how to love unconditionally.  To learn that love freely given is best received and the most powerful force there is.

  • I hope my children learn to respect those that have come before them.  The tears shed, the lives lost, the barriers broken and the miracles witnessed.  To know that they are part of something bigger than themselves.  I want my Muppets to learn from the past in order to prepare for their future.  

  • I hope my children are happy.  Happy with whatever path they choose.  I will be here if that path is not the right one for them, to help them choose the path that might get there where they want to be.  I will be here to rejoice and celebrate with them when their journey stops at location that has always been in their dreams.  I will dry their tears, make them laugh and help them dust themselves off in order to keep going on their journey when it takes a detour.

  • I hope my children feel accepted.  No matter what they choose to do or how they dress.  To know that I respect and accept and love them, as they are.

  • I hope they apply all of these values to life.  To shake the hand of the Vietnam vet outside of the Pick N Save with the poppies.  To help any child in the community, because it does indeed take a village to raise a child.  To help a lost dog find their family and to help find a new home for a dog that deserves a new one.  To help a motorist stranded in the middle of no where, even if the only thing they can do is wait with them until help comes. I want them to smile at strangers and say, "Have a Good Day."  Or when the waitress asks if they want another drink, they reply, "Yes, please".  And thank her properly when she brings the drink.

  • I hope my children drive safely. Reckless disregard for those around them, on the part of drivers, has created far too many broken hearts. 

  • I hope they respect whomever they are dating or married to.  Respect their hopes, dreams, or even fears.  Respect who they are as a person, not try to change them.  Love them for who they are.  If they are not the right one, part as pleasantly as possible and move on to the next stage of their journey.

  • I hope the understand the meaning of family - and all of the work that word brings, but also all of the joy that it brings.

  • I hope they will speak for those who have no voice or those whose voice is hard to hear.  I think I have been successful, so far here.  My kids will defend those who are being bullied and will refuse to be bullied.  I hope it continues. There are so many battles in this arena - on the playground and in life.  They can change the WORLD with this one wish.

  • I hope they continue to value education.  So many doors are opened to those willing to learn.

  • I hope they have faith.  Faith is so powerful and reassuring.  Faith can help you find your way out of the darkest corners.  I hope that even when their faith is tested, they never lose it.

  • I hope my children learn the value of money.  That they are always comfortable enough, but not overindulged.  In my classes I am shocked on a daily basis - demands for the shoes that cost more than my wedding dress, for cars that are brand new, for the newest technology.  All luxuries that we have no place demanding.
The rest will come - math facts, handwriting, riding with out training wheels, cleaning their rooms, helping around the house.  They are all milestones that develop the values and work ethic that will help my kids develop the other parts of my wishes.  To my Muppets, please know that I will always love you and I will always be here.  To my firefighter, stop and take a look at the crew we have - they are pretty amazing.

Be sure to hug your kids and kiss your firefighters.

2 comments:

  1. Awww!!! You made this overly hormonal pregnant momma tear up! Such sweet words for your smalls!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Amber. I know how those hormones are, you'll get them back under control soon enough. As much as they drive me bonkers some days, I would trade them for anything. How are you feeling??

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...